Charlotte Clowes (she/her)" />

Astronomical Calendar for 2024

As we go further into the new year, and further around the sun, you can be sure to see an array of stunning astronomical events. We’ve put together a celestial calendar for you, to make sure you don’t miss this year’s best views of the night sky. 

March

The 20th of March brings the first of two equinoxes – times when the day and night are the same length, as the sun passes over the equator. Also known as the vernal equinox, this day will mark the beginning of spring for the northern hemisphere. There’s also great cultural significance surrounding the spring equinox. It has been celebrated around the world for thousands of years with various festivals and traditions in keeping with the theme of new beginnings.

April

Across the 22nd and the 23rd of April comes the peak of the Lyrid meteor shower. Look in the early hours of the 23rd for the best view of this event. Comet C/1861 G1 Thatcher is the source of the meteor shower, it orbits the sun once every 415 years, and the resulting meteor shower is the oldest one still visible today – first recorded in 687 BCE.

May

May brings another meteor shower – Eta Aquariid will peak on the 6th, with a rate of up to 50 meteors per hour. The source of this shower is the famous Halley’s Comet, which is visible from earth every 75-76 years.

June – July

Throughout June and July is the peak season for noctilucent clouds. These clouds seem to have a silver or blue glow from within them, and are seen in the late evening or early morning hours when the sun is below the horizon but is close enough to illuminate the night clouds. Formed in the mesosphere by ice crystallising on suspended dust particles, these clouds can be seen in the west in the evening, and in the northeast in the morning.

July – August

The Perseid meteor shower occurs from the 17th July – 24th August, peaking on the 12th and 13th of August. Meteors will appear to radiate from the constellation Perseus, and at its peak, you could see up to 100 meteors per hour, and some fireballs too if you’re lucky!

September

On the 8th, Saturn moves into opposition – this means that it’s positioned directly opposite the sun in the night sky, which fully illuminates the planet’s face. With Saturn seeming at its brightest, this is the perfect opportunity to view it or even to try and photograph it.

October

One of this year’s supermoons occurs on the 17th of October. A supermoon is seen in the sky when a full moon is also at perigee (on the closest approach to earth of its elliptical orbit). It will appear 14% bigger and 30% brighter than a full moon at apogee (on the further side of its orbit).

November

Throughout the whole month of November, you’ll be able to see the Pleiades star cluster. Sitting in the constellation of Taurus the Bull, this open star cluster is visible with the naked eye! Compared to the history of the universe it’s very young, only around 100 million years old. This means that dinosaurs walked the earth before the birth of the cluster occurred. Whilst you don’t need any equipment to see it, by looking through binoculars or a telescope, you could see a stunning array of individual stars with a blue nebulosity – another great photography opportunity.

December

Ending our year full of astronomical events is the Geminid meteor shower. Its peak is around the 14th and 15th of December, and with a possible rate of around 150 meteors per hour, it’s one of the best meteor showers of the year. Since meteors are slower than most other showers, they seem to last longer, leading to a beautiful display across the night sky.

DragSoc announces End of Year Extravaganza

The University of Sheffield’s Drag Society (DragSoc) have revealed their final showcase of the academic year, with tickets already on sale for eager audience...

Steel City Sirens Review: Moulin Rouge Masquerade Ball

The Moulin Rouge has been home to a range of mysterious, sensual performances in its past, but never has it been graced by the...

SUPAS Review: Made in Dagenham

We've all become accustomed to industrial action in all sectors of our society, many striking for better pay. But what happens when that pay...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield take triumphant victory for 10th year running

Several weeks of sporting excellence culminated in a spectacular Varsity win for the University of Sheffield. This marks a decade of victories for the black...

VARSITY 2024: Narrow win for Hallam basketball men’s 1s in finale

Hallam basketball men’s 1s team won a thriller against the University of Sheffield on Wednesday 24 April at the Canon Medical Arena, taking victory...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take clean sweep in netball fixtures

The University of Sheffield’s first team claimed a wonderful victory with a 44-36 win over Sheffield Hallam on Wednesday 24 April at Canon Medical...

VARSITY 2024: Sheffield women’s basketball crush Hallam by double digits

A brilliant comeback saw the University of Sheffield emphatically defeat Sheffield Hallam University on the final day of Varsity. Despite Hallam taking an early lead,...