Holly Openshaw" />

SU Council supports pro-choice stance amidst controversy at refreshers fair

In a recent meeting, the SU Council has upheld its pro-choice stance, a decision sparked by the presence of a Christian Pregnancy Support Group at the recent Refreshers Fair.

Introduced by Rebecca Nelsey, Languages and Cultures Councillor, the proposal received a vote count of 30 in favour, 3 against and 9 abstentions.

The SU Council has released its updated policy, outlining a firm stance on abortion access and decriminalisation. The policy articulates five key beliefs, emphasising the importance of medical and legal frameworks offering individuals the option of pregnancy termination without stigma.

They also highlight barriers to safe and timely abortions, such as underfunded services, logistical challenges, the necessity of professional approval and legal time constraints.

The Council emphasise that abortion is a ‘a healthcare procedure which should be available as early as possible, and as late as necessary’.

The Council therefore resolves to campaign to secure legal recognition of this right through “full decriminalisation” of abortion. They also vow to oppose criminal penalties for abortion and barriers to practical access.

Additionally, they resolve to ‘restrict access to SU events and spaces for pro-life groups and campaigners who may seek to pressure students out of their right to choose’. 

They are also committed to urging local MPs to take these issues up in Parliament – amplifying student voices beyond campus.

Read the full policy here

SUPAS Review: Made in Dagenham

We've all become accustomed to industrial action in all sectors of our society, many striking for better pay. But what happens when that pay...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield take triumphant victory for 10th year running

Several weeks of sporting excellence culminated in a spectacular Varsity win for the University of Sheffield. This marks a decade of victories for the black...

VARSITY 2024: Narrow win for Hallam basketball men’s 1s in finale

Hallam basketball men’s 1s team won a thriller against the University of Sheffield on Wednesday 24 April at the Canon Medical Arena, taking victory...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take clean sweep in netball fixtures

The University of Sheffield’s first team claimed a wonderful victory with a 44-36 win over Sheffield Hallam on Wednesday 24 April at Canon Medical...

VARSITY 2024: Sheffield women’s basketball crush Hallam by double digits

A brilliant comeback saw the University of Sheffield emphatically defeat Sheffield Hallam University on the final day of Varsity. Despite Hallam taking an early lead,...

Grammy-Nominees announced for Migration Matters Festival

The line-up for this year’s Migration Matters Festival has been unveiled, with a range of artists, professionals, youth groups and others taking part to...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of find glory in futsal 2s fixture

A sizeable crowd gathered at the English Institute of Sport to watch the Steel City’s two university futsal teams lock horns on the day...