Georgia Cook" />

Smoking ban could boost economy by £10bn according to Sheffield academics

A smoke-free England could boost the economy by over £10.9 billion according to ‘milestone’ academic research.

The research, led by the University of Sheffield’s Addictions Research Group in collaboration with the University of Nottingham, is the first to suggest the potential scale of economic benefits if the country quit smoking. 

The study found that areas with higher smoking prevalence and lower average incomes would benefit the most, reducing class disparity.

Dr Duncan Gillespie, Senior Research Fellow at the University of Sheffield’s School of Medicine and Population Health, said: “The overall money going back into smoker’s pockets would be higher,

“but we have focused on the maximum spending opportunities which would benefit local economies, if the money was spent within the local community.”

It would equate to £1,776 per smoker or £246 per adult living in the UK regardless of their smoking status.

In a survey completed by The Tab at the University of Bristol, over 50 per cent of students said they smoked. 

The study suggests the possible advantages of the smoke-free generation policy being debated in parliament. 

This would mean anyone aged 15 or under in 2024 would never legally be sold tobacco products.

In data provided by Action on Smoking and Health from March 2024, about 400,000 11 to 15 year olds in England have tried smoking at some point and about 100,000 smoke now.

Lead author of the paper, Dr Damon Morris, from the University of Sheffield’s School of Medicine and Population Health, said: “Our findings underscore the potential for targeted tobacco control policies to alleviate financial burdens on households and promote economic prosperity.” 

He said that the new research, published in the journal Tobacco Control, is a milestone in the understanding of the economic implications of achieving a smoke-free generation.

PhotoSoc & Forge Press Competition Winner Crowned

A monochrome picture of a leafless tree has won the Forge Press and Photography Society joint competition. The picture, taken by HanQing Xing under...

Are gigs and festivals becoming more and more inaccessible to young people?

Festivals are a rite of passage for young people. Most GCSE and A-Level students go to Reading and Leeds to have a paradigmatic first...

Rose-tinted glasses: Do my favourite games stand the test of time?

After finishing the recent Fallout series on Amazon, I was left itching to jump back into Fallout 4, and with Bethesda’s announcement of a free next-gen update for the game shortly on the horizon, I started to wonder whether I’d love it as much as I did back in 2015.

Opinion: Should Celebrities star on Stage?

We are always seeing celebrity cast announcements for theatre shows: this year alone Self Esteem (Rebecca Lucy Taylor) has starred in the West End...

Disordered eating is not just ‘girl dinner’

TW: Discussion of mental health and eating disorders. According to explodingtopics.com, the average TikTok user spends 2 hours a...

Medics’ Revue raises £1700 for Sheffield children’s charity

The Sheffield Medics’ Revue society have announced that their 2024 show Back to the Suture has raised a phenomenal £1700 for the Bluebell Wood...

Sheffield art festival to celebrate local creatives

A local art festival is set to highlight the work and skill of creatives across Sheffield and the nearby areas this bank holiday weekend....