Ornella Bressan (she/her)" />

Let’s Build a Zoo Game Review: A Wild Adventure Unveiled

Imagine being able to build from scratch a classic, nice, pixelated zoo to be drawn to the dark side and slowly shift it into an animal-killing factory – don’t worry you’re not forced to join the dark side, but it is quite fun, that’s for sure.

Image Credit: Let’s build a zoo on Steam

From playing hours of My Cafe on my phone back in 2016, and keeping it in my heart as the best management game to exist, I was blown away by Let’s Build A Zoo and I can safely say that my lovely My Cafe has long been dethroned.

As a fiercely competitive Valorant player who just cannot seem to be able to keep that Diamond rank, there are times where I need some time off.

Enter Let’s Build A Zoo.

Developed by indie company Springloaded, the game is pretty simple; you build your zoo from scratch and watch it grow to become the biggest and most profitable zoo in the world with a wild variety of organic and genetically modified animals.

Starting from the bottom, your job is to make your visitors happy by making your animals happy — if you want to. 

There are two paths you can take on this game: the good or evil one. 

Let's Build A Zoo review: an absorbing tycoon game that relishes chaos | Rock Paper Shotgun
Image Credit: Rock Paper Shotgun

With the good path, you essentially make all the right choices whilst taking good care of all your animals and employees. 

But with the evil path, you pick all the wrong choices, such as not reporting the black market dealer and actually buying an animal from ‘questionable sources’, or putting your dead animals in the processor to gain more money off their meat. 

This zoo-building game lets breed adorable animals... or turn them into handbags | PC Gamer
Image Credit: PC Gamer

Depending on which sides you take, you get exclusive furniture and perks through research points which is the building that helps you receive more goodies as you grow. 

For example, when it comes to paying the bills, you can either be good and get environmentally friendly windmills for your electricity, or have a machine that illegally uses the light coming from street lamps by stealing from the government and having the electricity for free. 

There are honestly so many options you can do here.

The uniqueness of the game that I love the most is the complete freedom to decide the fate of your zoo, so if you want to mistreat your animals and ignore your visitors’ complaints, you can do it. Although that would mean having to deal with protesters, which you could get rid of with a few thousands dollars. 

When I launched my first zoo, I wanted to take the evil path straight away, but due to a friend who was spectating me, I had to take the right path. 

So I got my first bunnies, built an enclosure for them and actually took care of them. When the first critical choice appeared, which happens often, I had a lost Labrador which I could either keep by disguising it as a lion and earn evil points, or pay $50 to advertise his disappearance and find its owner and take good points. 

Of course, I chose the latter. 

As my zoo grows, I start trading my animals for new ones in a repeat cycle as well as getting a new science related building ‘CRISPR Splicer’ where I can only genetically modify two different species, and weird enough this option is neither good nor evil so you get it regardless. 

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who’s into management games. The game has now DLCs as well, so you can have either an aquarium or dinosaur specific zoo.

Sheffield Eagles thrash Barrow Raiders in mighty performance

The Sheffield Eagles continue to fly high in the RFL Championship after their comprehensive 54-0 victory over Barrow Raiders at the Olympic Legacy Park...

Sheffield Wednesday increase Championship survival hopes with West Brom win

Sheffield Wednesday took a huge step towards Championship survival as they beat play-off chasing West Bromwich Albion 3-0 on a memorable afternoon at a...

USLES unveils Chosen Ones Cast and Crew

The University of Sheffield Light Entertainment Society (USLES) have announced their full cast and crew ahead of the first showing of original musical Chosen...

Festival of Debate Review: Divided Isles: Solomon Islands and the China Switch

There’s always a section in the world news dedicated to China, and more recently, the interaction between China and Taiwan. But what’s it like...

DragSoc announces End of Year Extravaganza

The University of Sheffield’s Drag Society (DragSoc) have revealed their final showcase of the academic year, with tickets already on sale for eager audience...

Steel City Sirens Review: Moulin Rouge Masquerade Ball

The Moulin Rouge has been home to a range of mysterious, sensual performances in its past, but never has it been graced by the...

SUPAS Review: Made in Dagenham

We've all become accustomed to industrial action in all sectors of our society, many striking for better pay. But what happens when that pay...