Lucy Riddell (she/her), " />

Women’s History Month: important and inspiring art

Once again, in the spirit of Women’s History Month this March, hear from our writers about works of art in any form either by or about women that have enthralled them, whether because it made them stop and think, or simply because it was just great!

• Vahit Tuna’s wall of shoes (chosen by Lucy)

Image credit: Collater.al

In Turkey, domestic violence against women is on the rise, despite legislation against it having been introduced in 2011. Turkey’s women say that this was a political PR move, an empty and purely nominal promise. 38% of Turkish women aged 15-59 will be attacked by a male partner.

In 2018, Turkish artist Vahit Tuna exercised that age-old human tendency to use art as protest, and plastered the side of a prominent building in Istanbul with 440 pairs of high heels. These stood to represent the 440 Turkish women killed that year by domestic or sexual violence.

Grieving families in Turkey follow the custom of placing the shoes of their loved one who has passed away outside their house, traditionally thought of as a protection from death for the remaining residents of that house. Tuna’s choice to evoke this funerary rite in his artwork pays long-due respect to the women abused, and eventually killed, by those who are supposed to be their ‘loved ones,’ while also striving to protect other women from the same fate by raising awareness.

This art project was hosted by Yanköşe, a non-profit organisation whose ethos is to platform innovative and socially conscious artworks. They specialise in temporary pieces, and so Tuna’s is no longer on display. Nevertheless, it has been immortalised in the overwhelmingly positive global reaction to the work.

Tuna’s piece was intentionally showcased outdoors. It can be viewed from the street by passersby, in stark contrast to the closed-door nature of domestic violence. By forcing a taboo into the glaring Istanbul sun, this installation implores all who see it to be more aware, to have more conversations, to clamour for change.

At first glance nonsensical, with due context provided this artwork is a sobering reminder of an entire country’s failure to protect its women and girls.

• Prima Facie (chosen by Sophie)

Image credit: Wikipedia.

Prima Facie is a one-woman play set primarily in the legal chambers of Tessa, a criminal defence barrister who spends her days getting the accused off of their charges. Written by Suzie Miller, Tessa sees her work as ‘not personal, it’s the game,’ as her career is made off of her quick wits, clever judgement and skills with the law. But all of that changes when Tessa is sexually assaulted by someone she works with, and suddenly finds herself on the other side of ‘the game,’ fighting to prove the man guilty. Struggling with the aftermath of her ordeal, her case is a tough sell and she has to fight against the system she’s been playing so much for so long.

Prima Facie is a very intense but ingenious story, and its one-woman staging really adds to this intensity. Miller’s play has enjoyed phenomenal success in recent years, with Killing Eve’s Jodie Comer playing Tessa. In its run in London, the play secured two Olivier award wins (Best New Play and Best Actress for Jodie Comer) after being nominated for five. Their short Broadway transfer added a Tony Award, two Drama Desk Awards and an Outer Critics Circle Award to their accolades.

Miller (and Comer) created a fantastically dark yet insightful play that speaks to the issues many people, particularly women, face even in industries they have mastered. But it is also a testament to their power and strength in producing one of my favourite plays I’ve ever come across.

Sheffield Wednesday increase Championship survival hopes with West Brom win

Sheffield Wednesday took a huge step towards Championship survival as they beat play-off chasing West Bromwich Albion 3-0 on a memorable afternoon at a...

USLES unveils Chosen Ones Cast and Crew

The University of Sheffield Light Entertainment Society (USLES) have announced their full cast and crew ahead of the first showing of original musical Chosen...

Festival of Debate Review: Divided Isles: Solomon Islands and the China Switch

There’s always a section in the world news dedicated to China, and more recently, the interaction between China and Taiwan. But what’s it like...

DragSoc announces End of Year Extravaganza

The University of Sheffield’s Drag Society (DragSoc) have revealed their final showcase of the academic year, with tickets already on sale for eager audience...

Steel City Sirens Review: Moulin Rouge Masquerade Ball

The Moulin Rouge has been home to a range of mysterious, sensual performances in its past, but never has it been graced by the...

SUPAS Review: Made in Dagenham

We've all become accustomed to industrial action in all sectors of our society, many striking for better pay. But what happens when that pay...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield take triumphant victory for 10th year running

Several weeks of sporting excellence culminated in a spectacular Varsity win for the University of Sheffield. This marks a decade of victories for the black...