George Devo" />

Hallam issue over 100 redundancy notices to academic staff as financial woes continue

Sheffield Hallam University has issued over 120 “risk of redundancy” letters to academic staff amid ongoing financial difficulties for the institution.

A voluntary redundancy scheme opened on the 6th March, with staff having until 18th March to apply to it or, alternatively, to a limited number of new roles.  

As a result of the move, the UCU, the union for staff in higher education, have accused Hallam’s leadership of breaching the national pay structure for academic staff, agreed between employers and staff in 2004.

In their view, Hallam proposals amount to abolishing the highest salary band on the structure, replacing Grade 9 ‘Principal Lecturers’ with lower paid Grade 6 ‘Academic tutors’.  

Hallam’s UCU branch argued that the move would “be a further degradation of teaching standards at the University”, with Jo Grady, the Union’s national General Secretary warning it could lead to “serious damage to the industrial relations between the university and the UCU.”

Speaking to the BBC, a Hallam spokesperson said the academic tutor role wouldn’t replace the principal lecturer roles and was simply a “new entry-level position for those looking to begin their academic career”.

This move follows February’s announcement of wide-ranging cuts to ease the University’s budget deficit, which proposed reducing academic staff by 5%, consolidating multiple departments and bringing all current recruitment to a halt.

At the time, Hallam identified rising energy and pension costs, as well as tuition fees failing to rise with inflation and a drop in international student numbers, as factors affecting their revenue.

Alternatively, Hallam’s UCU branch blames the deficit on “risky financial choices” made by university management, including plans to open a London campus.  

Going forwards, they state they are “committed to working with the university to find alternative solutions which do not include staff redundancies and a weakening of teaching standards”. 

Sheffield Wednesday increase Championship survival hopes with West Brom win

Sheffield Wednesday took a huge step towards Championship survival as they beat play-off chasing West Bromwich Albion 3-0 on a memorable afternoon at a...

USLES unveils Chosen Ones Cast and Crew

The University of Sheffield Light Entertainment Society (USLES) have announced their full cast and crew ahead of the first showing of original musical Chosen...

Festival of Debate Review: Divided Isles: Solomon Islands and the China Switch

There’s always a section in the world news dedicated to China, and more recently, the interaction between China and Taiwan. But what’s it like...

DragSoc announces End of Year Extravaganza

The University of Sheffield’s Drag Society (DragSoc) have revealed their final showcase of the academic year, with tickets already on sale for eager audience...

Steel City Sirens Review: Moulin Rouge Masquerade Ball

The Moulin Rouge has been home to a range of mysterious, sensual performances in its past, but never has it been graced by the...

SUPAS Review: Made in Dagenham

We've all become accustomed to industrial action in all sectors of our society, many striking for better pay. But what happens when that pay...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield take triumphant victory for 10th year running

Several weeks of sporting excellence culminated in a spectacular Varsity win for the University of Sheffield. This marks a decade of victories for the black...